BEST NORTHERN LIGHTS TOURS IN ROVANIEMI, Lapland (+BEST DEALS & TIPS)
Are you excited about planning a trip to Lapland? Get ready for an unforgettable adventure under the mesmerizing northern lights in Rovaniemi! Lapland is one of the best places in the world to see this magical natural phenomenon. In this guide, we will help you plan your trip and find the best Rovaniemi northern lights tours.
Join me as we explore the stunning landscapes of Lapland and uncover the secrets of the northern lights. We’ll also provide you with valuable tips to make your journey extraordinary. Prepare yourself for a captivating dance of lights that will leave you breathless.
What is the best time to see the northern lights in Rovaniemi?
The Northern Lights can be seen during several months of the year. When the skies are clear, it is easier to see the color variations and the different striations clearly.
The best time of year to see the northerns lights in Rovaniemi are evenings in the late fall all the way through the middle of spring. Generally, this will be around the end of August until the first weeks of April each year. The lights appear in the evenings, often between 19:00 and 2:00 (7pm and 2am); however, there is no set time, as they’re naturally-occurring and don’t follow a schedule.
Is Sweden or Finland better for spotting the northern lights?
Both Sweden and Finland offer excellent opportunities for spotting the northern lights. The choice between the two depends on various factors such as location, accessibility, and personal preferences.
Sweden is known for its remote and picturesque locations such as Abisko, Kiruna, and Jukkasjärvi, which are renowned for their clear skies and minimal light pollution. These areas provide ideal conditions for observing the northern lights. Additionally, Sweden offers a range of activities and accommodations, including ice hotels, to enhance your Arctic experience.
Finland, particularly Rovaniemi in Finnish Lapland, is another popular destination for northern lights enthusiasts. Rovaniemi offers a combination of wilderness and city comforts, making it accessible and appealing to a wide range of travelers.
You can enjoy activities like husky sledding, snowmobiling, and visiting Santa Claus Village while still having a good chance of witnessing the magical Aurora Borealis.
Both countries have excellent infrastructure and tourism facilities, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable experience. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preferences, available activities, and the specific locations you wish to explore.
Best app to check the forecast of the northern lights in Rovaniemi
There are several reliable apps that provide information about the activity of the Northern Lights. Here is an overview of the best northern lights apps:
- Aurora Forecast – This app provides real-time Aurora Borealis forecasts based on various factors like solar activity, cloud cover, and geomagnetic data. It offers customizable notifications and an easy-to-use interface.
- My Aurora Forecast & Alerts – This app offers accurate Aurora Borealis forecasts and provides alerts when the Northern Lights are likely to be visible in your location. It also includes weather information and a global Aurora map.
- Aurora – Aurora Forecast and Alerts – This app provides detailed Aurora Borealis forecasts, including hourly predictions and visibility ratings. It offers an interactive map and allows you to set location-based alerts for optimal viewing conditions.
- Northern Eye – Aurora Forecast – This app offers Aurora Borealis forecasts along with cloud cover and moon phase information. It provides a 3-day forecast and allows you to save your favorite locations for quick access.
- TPE – The Photographer’s Ephemeris – While not specifically designed for Northern Lights, this app is useful for photographers. It provides information on sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and moonset times, which can help you plan your Northern Lights photography sessions.
Remember that while these apps provide valuable data, the visibility of the Northern Lights is still dependent on various natural factors.
It’s always recommended to check multiple sources, monitor local weather conditions, and seek dark sky locations for the best chance of witnessing the Aurora Borealis.
What causes the northern lights to appear in Rovaniemi?
The aurora borealis caused by the interaction between the Earth’s magnetic field and charged particles from the Sun. Here’s how it works:
- Solar Activity: The Sun continuously releases a stream of charged particles called the solar wind. Occasionally, the Sun experiences solar flares or coronal mass ejections, resulting in a higher intensity of charged particles.
- Earth’s Magnetic Field: The Earth has a magnetic field that extends into space. This magnetic field acts as a protective shield, deflecting most of the charged particles from the Sun. However, near the Earth’s poles, the magnetic field lines converge, allowing some of the particles to enter the atmosphere.
- Particle Interaction: As the charged particles from the Sun enter the Earth’s atmosphere, they collide with atoms and molecules, primarily oxygen and nitrogen. These collisions excite the atoms and molecules, causing them to release energy in the form of light.
- Light Emission: The excited atoms and molecules emit light at specific wavelengths, creating the colorful displays of the northern lights. Oxygen emits green and red light, while nitrogen emits blue and purple light.
In Rovaniemi (located near the Arctic Circle) the proximity to the Earth’s magnetic pole and its high latitude make it an excellent location for witnessing the northern lights.
The clear skies and minimal light pollution in the area further enhance the visibility of this mesmerizing natural phenomenon.
How long do the northern lights last in Finland?
The duration of the northern lights, or aurora borealis, can vary. The northern lights can appear for just a few minutes or persist for several hours. The length of time the northern lights last depends on several factors:
- Activity Level: The intensity of the aurora display is influenced by the strength of the geomagnetic storm. During periods of high activity, the lights may be more dynamic and last longer.
- Solar Activity: The occurrence and duration of the northern lights are linked to solar activity, specifically the solar wind. When there is a higher influx of charged particles from the Sun, the aurora can be more prolonged.
- Viewing Location: The duration of the northern lights can also vary based on your location. In some instances, the lights may be visible for a few minutes before fading away, while in other cases, they may persist for hours, especially in regions close to the magnetic poles.
- Atmospheric Conditions: Clear skies are ideal for viewing the northern lights. If the sky is clouded over, it may reduce visibility and the perceived duration of the aurora.
Best Rovaniemi Northern Light Tours
Hunt The Aurora Borealis In Rovaniemi By Snowmobile With Tasty Campfire BBQ
Duration: 3 hours
=> Book today!
Experience the enchantment of the northern lights on a thrilling snowmobile tour in the serene wilderness. Step off the snowmobiles and enjoy the peacefulness of nature while waiting for the dazzling light show to begin.
Treat yourself to delicious BBQ sausages or vegan options, accompanied by hot drinks, to keep you warm and satisfied. The tour is suitable for all ages, with children under 14 riding in a sled towed behind the snowmobile.
Convenient hotel transportation is provided within an 8-kilometer radius. Bundle up in warm layers, winter boots, and a cozy hat to stay comfortable in the cold weather.
English-speaking guides will share fascinating insights about the Northern Lights as you marvel at their beauty. Please note that the tour starts in the evening and ends late at night, allowing for an unforgettable experience under the nocturnal sky.
- Take an exhilirating late-night snowmobile ride
- See the northern lights in the Arctic Circle
- Experience a Lappish barbecue by campfire
- Explore the beautiful Northern landscapes by night
Find The Northern Lights in Rovaniemi Via Minibus
Duration: 2 hours
=> Book today!
Immerse yourself in the captivating beauty of the Northern Lights with this 2-hour tour. Led by an English-speaking guide, you’ll be taken to the best observation spots in Lapland’s countryside, far away from the city lights of Rovaniemi.
Begin your adventure with convenient hotel pickup from the Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi. Embark on an exciting chase to capture the Northern Lights, visiting different locations for the best chance of witnessing this natural phenomenon. Marvel at the dancing lights against a backdrop of star-filled constellations, especially on clear nights.
Experience the enchanting Northern Lights belt, where this magical display occurs from the autumn darkness to the arrival of spring. Throughout the tour, your knowledgeable guide will provide insights about the Polar Lights, enhancing your understanding and appreciation.
You’ll be provided with winter clothes, including overalls, boots, and gloves, to keep you warm and comfortable during the tour. Transportation will be arranged to take you between the various spotting locations.
- See the Northern Lights dancing upon the arctic skies
- Take pictures of this natural phenomenon
- Enjoy a 2-hour tour led by an English-speaking guide
- Drive into Lapland’s countryside, far away from the city lights of Rovaniemi
- Learn everything about the Polar Lights
Northern Lights Tour With Professional Photographers
Duration: 4.5 hours
=> Book Now!
Embark on an exhilarating Northern Lights adventure in Rovaniemi with this tour. Capture breathtaking photographs of the mesmerizing Aurora Borealis and visit two to three different locations throughout the night.
The tour begins with a team meeting where you’ll receive a briefing on the current weather conditions, aurora forecasts, and the destination for the evening. Travel by minivan to explore the Rovaniemi area and then proceed on foot to reach perfect spots in the midst of nature.
Your guide, a professional photographer, will assist you in preparing your cameras for capturing the Northern Lights spectacle. They will share valuable tips and techniques to enhance your photography skills and ensure you’re ready to capture the show of a lifetime.
Throughout the night, you’ll typically visit two to three locations carefully selected based on weather conditions and photography opportunities. If the sky is clear and the possibility of seeing the aurora is better 100 kilometers away, the team will take you there. With over 50 locations to choose from, each night offers the best chances of witnessing the Northern Lights.
The tour includes pick-up and drop-off within a 10-kilometer range of the office, transportation in a comfortable minivan, warm clothing and winter boots (if needed), headlamps, BBQ gear, and hot drinks with snacks. Please note that the tour is not suitable for children under 10 years old, as it is photography-focused and physically demanding.
In case heavy clouds or snowfall obstruct the Northern Lights, the tour will shift focus to night photography in the Arctic nature at locations ideal for capturing stunning night-time images.
It is highly recommended to bring your own DSLR camera for the best results, as compact cameras or phone cameras may not guarantee optimal night photography.
- Hunt the Northern Lights in Rovaniemi
- Capture amazing photographs of the Northern Lights
- Visit two to three locations during the night
- Get tips from professional photographers
How much does a Rovaniemi northern light tour cost?
A Rovaniemi northern light tour can cost around €125 ($138) to €200 ($220) per person. Sometimes, it might be more expensive if you want to do extra things like going on a reindeer sleigh ride or meeting Santa Claus.
The cost of the tour can vary depending on different things. Some tours might be cheaper and some might be more expensive. It usually depends on how long the tour is, what activities are included, and the time of year you go.
Sleep beneath the Rovaniemi northern lights
Apukka Resort, located about a 15-minute ride from Rovaniemi, offers a warm respite in the Arctic with unique sauna rooms and high-end glass igloo cabins.
The Aurora Cabin Glass Igloos provide crystal clear views of the Northern Lights, and the resort offers a range of exciting activities, including nature tours and culinary adventures.
=> Check discounted room rates here! <=
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort offers a unique experience with its world’s largest smoke sauna and diverse culinary options.
The resort’s accommodation options range from traditional chalets to thermal glass igloos, providing luxurious and cozy settings.
Guests can enjoy the charm of camping while watching the northern lights from the comfort of their glass igloos.
The proximity to Urho Kekkonen National Park, with its stunning landscapes and fell peaks, adds to the resort’s magical allure.
=> Check discounted room rates here! <=
Santa’s Igloos Arctic Hotel
Santa’s Igloos Arctic Hotel, located near the famous Santa Claus Village, offers a remarkable experience with its collection of 71 luxurious igloos. These snow-clad structures provide a cozy village-like atmosphere while offering modern amenities.
Each room is equipped with high-end features, including a flat-screen TV and tablet for convenient communication with the friendly staff.
Guests can enjoy the natural light show of the Aurora borealis by simply looking up through the glass roofs of the igloos.
For families, a visit to the nearby Santa Claus Village is a must, and adventurous activities like hiking and bike rentals are also available for exploration.
=> Check discounted rates here! <=